"The next Miyazaki", big screen debut of Nikaido Fumi  

Posted by: Pori in ,

Young NICOLA model Nikaido Fumi (14) is making her big screen debut in the movie called "Gama no Abura" (Toad's Oil), the directorial debut of Yakusho Koji (53). Cinema Today now had the chance make an interview with her.

NICOLA has already been the gateway to success for many young models who want to become actresses like Aragaki Yui, Aoi Yuu or Sawajiri Erika. Nikaido has the same desire and tried to audition for the role next to modeling for magazines and commercials. In the end her dazzling smile stood out of the 50 contestants and earned her the role of the heroine. Director Yakusho discovered and coached this gem himself and has been very pleased about her abilities. Despite her first genuine acting role, she had a very great natural perception, good acting skills and an overall very charming appearance. Even before the release of the movie, Nikaido already earned herself the title of "The next Miyazaki Aoi" among the movie staff due to her striking resemblance in both her looks and her character. Even all the authorized people who have already been able to see a preview screening had the same comment about her, "She's just like Miyazaki Aoi!"

"When I heard about the audition, I just told myself, 'Let's do it!' It was completely my own decision. About 2 months before the actual start of the filming I had a rehearsal with the director. He completely guided me through everything. There was a lot of laughter at the set, because in the beginning I still had a lot of problems. The director would always come to me and say, "You should do it like this" and exactly show me what I'm supposed to do. This has been very funny sometimes, so much that we spontaneously started to laugh."

The movie is a fantasy dorama about a father who has to climb over the tragic event of his son who got involved in a traffic accident and ended up in a coma. Nikaido plays the role of Hikari, the lover of the eldest son (Eita) of the married couple (Yakusho Koji himself and Kobayashi Satomi). It's a very important role, even if it isn't one of the starring roles, it was still enough for her as a newbie to feel the pressure. "I couldn't believe it at first, when I heard that I would be filming a movie together with Eita-san and was like, 'EH?'. Eita has been a very nice person and I'm really thankful for that. I think I wouldn't have been able to play the role of Hikari the way I did, if it wasn't Eita-san who played as Takuya."

It seems like Nikaido always wanted to become an actress. "I wanted to become an actress ever since I've been born. My mother loves movies and we often went to see movie together, so that might have had an influence on me."

Nikaido is 14 years old, lives in Okinawa and is a young literature girl who enjoys her student life. "I get up at 7, eat breakfast, put on my uniform and go to school. When I come back home, I relax in my room, read a book, study or talk with my mom, that's how I basically live every day at the moment. I really love reading books. Dazai Osamu (an author) and so on."

Because of work she constantly had to commute between Okinawa and Tokyo. When asked about her favorite spot in Tokyo, she immediately replied "Asagusa!", which means that she must have a very good taste. "I love the Hanayashiki Amusement Park there. I love that free fall rollercoaster and the haunted house. The old feeling it has to it is great. You aren't able to go around the whole place at once, but no matter how many times I go there, I'd still love it."

That effortless charm of her is what makes her resemble Miyazaki Aoi the most and is also the reason why many people have such high expections in her. Nikaido herself also has very big goals.

"I wouldn't say it's a very big goal, but I'd like to become an actress as active in the entertainment world as Yakusho-san. Take the movie 'Babel' for example, I didn't even recognize him at all, that's how great he was able to get into his role. A person who is able to do that is amazing and it would be great to become like that. In order to spread my wings and becoming an actress, I have to experience various places and do various roles, and it would be great, if I could work together with Yakusho-san someday again."

Will it even be possible not to pick her as a candidate for Rookie of the Year?


Note:
I have a short profile about her over here.


---
Written by: jyoyu.blogspot.com
Source: Cinema Today

Please link back when posting those news anywhere else.

This entry was posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

This film definitely sounds interesting and I now I wanna see it more since Fumi is being called the next Miyazaki Aoi :D Thanks HP

Post a Comment